Who we are:
At Wunderman Thompson we exist to inspire growth for ambitious brands. Part creative agency, part consultancy and part technology company, our experts provide end-to-end capabilities at a global scale to deliver inspiration across the entire brand and customer experience.
We are 20,000 strong in 90 markets around the world; our people bring together creative storytelling, diverse perspectives, inclusive thinking, and highly specialized vertical capabilities to drive growth for our clients. We offer deep expertise across the entire customer journey, including communications, commerce, consultancy, CRM, CX, data, production, and technology.
Who we are looking for:
Wunderman Thompson is seeking a Group Strategy Director to lead the Sherwin-Williams business out of the Midwest office, which includes team members in Chicago, Minneapolis, and beyond.
Building on a successful agency-client relationship at an important moment of growth, the Group Strategy Director will have the unique leadership opportunity to partner in plotting the course of how the brand can be a marketing leader. The role’s two key relationships will be first, as a leader among their agency colleagues, and second, as a trusted consultant to the client.
The nature of this role’s work will primarily be to develop creative, campaign, and content strategy for mostly B2B marketing. This will include developing strategies for how the brand raises awareness of its offerings, launches new products, breaks through at trade shows, harnesses social and email, and most effectively uses its websites. Also, partnering with team members who specialize in experience design and experience strategy, this Group Strategy Director will guide the creation of new online and offline content and the evolution of the brand’s digital products (apps). Finally, vital to this role is an aptitude for solving marketing and business challenges more broadly – e.g., What new audiences should be prioritized? How can the client’s marketing organization evolve? – as a trusted advisor to the lead client.
As the strategic leader over the business, this person’s vision and intimate understanding of the client’s business will not only guide their work in the immediate, but also shape how their work, their role, and the engagement more broadly each evolve over time.
This person will report to the Head of Strategy of the Central Region.
What you’ll do:
- Lead and Motivate | The Group Strategy Director’s leadership will be needed both inside and outside of the agency’s walls. They will be influential within their account as well as a trusted consultant to the client.
- Discover and Prioritize | The Group Strategy Director will bring together brand, business, market, and customer perspectives to identify opportunities for our clients, set priorities, and define a path forward.
- Define and Create | The Group Strategy Director is more than a thinker – they are a maker. This person will not only identify opportunities; they’ll define plans for making them real, too. They’ll see these plans through in close, trust-based partnership with their creative and CX counterparts.
Who you are:
- A builder and thought leader | Innovator with a desire to bring people together. Ability to confidently direct people and create gravity around ideas.
- A collaborator | Our team is close-knit and supportive and we’re working to create a story, at speed. They must be a champion of team environments that are comfortable and encouraging, especially when working across disciplines.
- A doer | This role will be the definitive voice of strategy on this large account, playing at every level – from annual planning down to the final details of the creative briefs.
- A learner | Tapping into the vast resources of what our agency can offer, this person will embrace new topics and skillsets. They will play to their strengths but they will never get stuck in their ways.
What you’ll need:
- 10+ years of strategic planning experience in a creative, digital or social agency with strong integrated experience and deep social/digital chops.
- Preferably proven experience in B2B marketing.
- Proven record of building client trust and meaningful client relationships (This role will develop a direct client dynamic and will not always be mediated by Account or Project Management).
- Proven ability to lead, mentor, and collaborate with a hands-on, “roll-up your sleeves” approach in a team-oriented workplace.
- Hunger to learn and grow, embracing the wide and varied skillsets from our network’s experts in Data, CRM, CX, and beyond
- Strong ability to distill and clarify information while producing work at speed.
At Wunderman Thompson, we are committed to actively building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcomed, valued and heard, and is treated with dignity and respect. As leaders and creative partners across industries, it is our responsibility to cultivate an environment reflective of our greatest asset; our people. We believe that this commitment inspires growth and delivers equitable outcomes for everyone as well as the clients and communities we serve.
Wunderman Thompson is a WPP agency. For more information, please visit our website and follow Wunderman Thompson on our social channels via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
We rely on legitimate interest as a legal basis for processing personal information under the GDPR for purposes of recruitment and applications for employment.