Who we are:
At Wunderman Thompson we exist to inspire growth for ambitious brands. Part creative agency, part consultancy and part technology company, our experts provide end-to-end capabilities at a global scale to deliver inspiration across the entire brand and customer experience.
We are 20,000 strong in 90 markets around the world; our people bring together creative storytelling, diverse perspectives, inclusive thinking, and highly specialized vertical capabilities to drive growth for our clients. We offer deep expertise across the entire customer journey, including communications, commerce, consultancy, CRM, CX, data, production, and technology.
Who we are looking for:
Wunderman Thompson is seeking a Counsel to support agency initiatives related to technology, data, and commerce. The Counsel will be responsible for negotiating high volume client and vendor agreements, data licenses, data processing agreements, privacy clauses, products, and more. As a member of the broader Wunderman Thompson legal team, the Counsel will also have the opportunity to partner with the global privacy function to help implement best practices.
The Counsel should have enthusiasm for advertising and technology, comfort with evolving privacy laws, strong technical skills, and good business judgment. The Counsel will be a positive team player who develops solid relationships with business and legal partners. They will possess the ability to navigate business challenges, counsel internal teams on day-to-day legal matters, assess data privacy risks, negotiate contracts, interface with external clients, and assist with internal training.
The Counsel will help ensure the business practices, policies, and activities of Wunderman Thompson meet not only legal and regulatory requirements, but also are consistent with WPP’s ethical and moral obligations to clients, shareholders, suppliers and all external stakeholders.
What you’ll do:
- Identify | The Counsel will proactively identify issues and offer solutions. They will be accessible and credible to the legal team, management, and all colleagues.
- Develop | Execute and write concisely contract processes that promote efficiency and speed. Be willing to help as needed, across the legal team.
- Interpret | Explain complex concepts efficiently and effectively. Foster the reputation of the legal team as positive team members and facilitators of business growth and transactions.
- Work | Partner with other functions to support strategic imperatives. Proactively follow data best practices and apply that knowledge to the business.
- Observe | Proactively monitor the relevant legal environment concerning current laws and future trends that will impact the business and provide advice regarding the same.
Who you are:
- A builder | Process-oriented innovator with an ability and appetite to create bring people together. Innate ability to marshal people (team and client) and create gravity around ideas.
- Creative Bravery | Our team is close-knit and supportive and we’re working with a lot of unknowns – you must be a champion of team environments that are comfortable and encouraging, especially working cross-discipline.
- Positive | Dig in and figure out how to work around problems. Provide a balance needed to maintain stamina and positivity.
- In It Together | We all wear the hats that need wearing, it’s a mentality that makes the team successful.
What you’ll need:
- A minimum of three years of experience as a qualified lawyer, ideally with a well-respected law firm or within a fast-paced company.
- Technology, commerce, or privacy experience is required.
- Possess practical judgment, genuine enthusiasm for the commerce space, the ability to deal with ambiguity, a strong work ethic, a direct and candid style, and the ability to prioritize quickly.
- Experience within an agency model is helpful but not required.
- Spanish language proficiency is desired but not required.
- Preferred location is New York but would consider Atlanta, Chicago, or Seattle.
Wunderman Thompson is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or other protected group status. We believe in creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion and strives to recruit a diverse slate of candidates to help us achieve that goal.
At Wunderman Thompson, we are committed to actively building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcomed, valued and heard, and is treated with dignity and respect. As leaders and creative partners across industries, it is our responsibility to cultivate an environment reflective of our greatest asset; our people. We believe that this commitment inspires growth and delivers equitable outcomes for everyone as well as the clients and communities we serve.
Wunderman Thompson is a WPP agency. For more information, please visit our website and follow Wunderman Thompson on our social channels via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
We rely on legitimate interest as a legal basis for processing personal information under the GDPR for purposes of recruitment and applications for employment.