Who we are:
At Wunderman Thompson we exist to inspire growth for ambitious brands. Part creative agency, part consultancy and part technology company, our experts provide end-to-end capabilities at a global scale to deliver inspiration across the entire brand and customer experience.
We are 20,000 strong in 90 markets around the world; our people bring together creative storytelling, diverse perspectives, inclusive thinking, and highly specialized vertical capabilities to drive growth for our clients. We offer deep expertise across the entire customer journey, including communications, commerce, consultancy, CRM, CX, data, production, and technology.
Head of New Business
Wunderman Thompson UK is looking for a Head of New Business/Chief Growth Officer to lead the New Business function across the agency. Reporting to the CEO and as a member of the Leadership team you will define and lead the New Business strategy for the business.
You will be an experienced New Business practitioner with a successful track record in generating, running and winning enviable pieces of business. Ideally but not necessarily experienced across all key agency disciplines, you will bring an integrated and growth mentality. You will be comfortable navigating a matrixed business, building relationships and working with senior stakeholders across the organisation. You will have deep knowledge of the sector, key industry bodies and the main intermediaries. You will have the ability to manage opportunities from initial conversations, all the way through to scoping, implementation and set-up of the team before handing over.
The attitude and approach of the Head of New Business is, in many ways, as important as the experience and skills they possess – as the role will be at heart of the agency. Shortlisted for Campaign and the BD100’s New Business teams of the year over the past couple of years, you will be leading a high performance team, You will need to be a self-starter, highly motivated and motivating, have natural leadership qualities and gravitas and be prepared to interface with all departments in the agency to gather the support required. The environment is extremely varied and fast paced so you’ll need to be comfortable juggling multiple plates.
What you’ll be doing
- Define, implement and iterate the business development strategy.
- Lead, manage and nurture the business development function.
- Work closely in partnership with key groups within the agency: the account leads across the UK, the appropriate individuals from each of the sister agencies, and the UK board.
- Ultimately act as the centre of gravity for the entire new business and business development offering for WT UK to deliver on revenue targets set for the business.
- Bringing a fresh and strategic approach to how we best answer our clients brief, looking for new ways to solve client problems through our wider capabilities.
- Communicate the value proposition to prospective clients in a manner appropriate for the target audience of C-Suite executive.
- Transfer knowledge; share and socialise best practice exemplary work, ideas and solutions with the wider UK Group.
- Monitor the revenue pipeline and leads, adjusting as necessary to create sustainable growth.
- Establish both short-term results and long-term strategy, including revenue forecasting.
- Develop contracts and scopes of work in collaboration with internal teams to help set pricing, client goals, and objectives.
Who you are:
- A builder | Entrepreneurial attitude couple with a strong business acumen. Ability and appetite to bring people together. Innate ability to marshal people and create gravity around ideas.
- Open and collaborative | Our team is close-knit and supportive and we’re working with a lot of unknowns – you must champion of team environments that are comfortable and encouraging.
- Optimistic and resilient | Dig in and figure out how to work around problems. Yes and why not posture. Takes care of self and team. Balance needed to maintain stamina and positivity.
- Ego-less | We all wear the hats that need wearing, it’s a mentality that makes the team successful.
- Senior level new business and pitch experience – developing compelling proposals that articulate a clear point of difference and win clients
- Strong leadership and team management experience
- Powers of persuasion, charisma: able to act as a relationship builder
- Tactful and flexible in dealing with different cultures (geographical and corporate)
- Keen to contribute to a fun environment for team to work in
- Ability to adapt to constantly changing challenges
- Seeks continuously to improve the work of the team
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to build close client, internal and intermediary relationships
What we can offer you:
We don't settle for people who can just do the job, we look for people that go beyond that and always push our thinking to be better than yesterday. We believe that this is what makes our agency a great place to be – a space where you’re never far away from the best minds to learn from.
We want you to be comfortable and proud every day of the week and have created an open and inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. We don’t want you to just fit into our culture, we want your uniqueness and diversity of background to add to it and make this an agency where we all have a real sense of belonging and purpose. We are a community.
We have a number of programmes and initiatives designed to support your career and wellbeing. There are exciting knowledge sharing programmes delivered through lunch and learn sessions, cultural opportunities through our exchange programme, and you can have an impact on the wider community through one of our charity initiatives. Your career development is important to us and should you ever choose to move on from Wunderman Thompson, we want you to be better than when you joined us. YOU Time will provide you with the framework and support needed to reach your career aspirations, supported by a range of learning options for every type of learning style. Your mind, body and soul are also taken care of through our varied wellness programmes but we like to have some fun here too, so you could get involved in our culture club, find love through Wunder Dating or if you’re the chosen one, take a spin on our Wheel of Wunder!
There really is no shortage of opportunities here for the right person that is prepared to roll their sleeves up, get involved and collaborate with those around them to deliver the best work for our clients and our agency.
At Wunderman Thompson, we are committed to actively building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcomed, valued and heard, and is treated with dignity and respect. As leaders and creative partners across industries, it is our responsibility to cultivate an environment reflective of our greatest asset; our people. We believe that this commitment inspires growth and delivers equitable outcomes for everyone as well as the clients and communities we serve.
Wunderman Thompson is a WPP agency. For more information, please visit our website and follow Wunderman Thompson on our social channels via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
We rely on legitimate interest as a legal basis for processing personal information under the GDPR for purposes of recruitment and applications for employment.