SVP, Medical Director
SVP, Medical Director
Department: Medical & Scientific
Location: Stamford, CT, United States
Who we are:
At Wunderman Thompson we exist to inspire growth for ambitious brands. Part creative agency, part consultancy and part technology company, our experts provide end-to-end capabilities at a global scale to deliver inspiration across the entire brand and customer experience.
We are 20,000 strong in 90 markets around the world; our people bring together creative storytelling, diverse perspectives, inclusive thinking, and highly specialized vertical capabilities to drive growth for our clients. We offer deep expertise across the entire customer journey, including communications, commerce, consultancy, CRM, CX, data, production, and technology.
International Meetings and Science (IMsci), a division of Wunderman Thompson Health, works with companies to build world-class healthcare and pharmaceutical brands among medical professionals and consumers, with a transmedia storytelling approach that covers medical education strategies.
Who we are looking for:
IMsci is seeking a SVP, Medical Director to join the team in our Stamford, CT office. As a Senior Vice President, Medical Director you will lead multiple science teams for various clients and brands and will champion the scientific integrity of our work product. You will have overall scientific accountability for all aspects of the finished products and must understand the strategy for the brand(s) and projects and ensure the science is used to support this strategic direction. As a senior member, you are accountable for client satisfaction, scientific rigor and accuracy, and strategic excellence of all projects for which you are responsible. Furthermore, you are part of the company management team, and thus will participate in management meetings and work with other senior managers to develop business opportunities, manage day-to-day functions related to operational procedures, and achieve company goals.
What you’ll do:
- Manage | Serve as the primary point of contact for senior client medical officers. Provide scientific leadership on all projects for multiple accounts. Act as mentor to the individuals in the science group and identify opportunities for individual growth and experiences by setting goals and coaching, when appropriate. Share ideas and best practices across account teams. Understand, execute, and drive strategic direction in partnership with account services teams and identify and help resolve people/departmental conflicts with practical solutions. Keep management informed of client activity/issues/opportunities. Ensure your science teams are adhering to internal processes and working in the most efficient and fiscally responsible manner as content pieces are developed. Maintain a positive working relationship with all inter-departmental teams. Assist in recruitment of new team members when necessary. Be a steward of company culture and environment.
- Build | Instill confidence in the client such that counsel on issues of content and strategy in educational and promotional materials is sought out and followed. Develop and maintain harmonious relationships with all levels of client teams. Demonstrate a knowledge of the therapeutic market and share timely information about changes in the market. Provide proactive written recommendations to client on a regular basis. Take responsibility for client satisfaction and identify new ways/solutions to strengthen relationships. Identify and resolves client conflicts quickly and efficiently. Engage in client interaction including running teleconferences and client meetings, answering questions regarding content, attend meetings, and demonstrate knowledge of content.
- Create | Participate in the development of breakthrough creative and innovative programs founded in strong science. Ensure high-quality agency output, reflective of consistently superior creative and innovative products, and constructively reject materials that do not meet this standard. Ensure quality standards of medical writing freelancers. Be a brand champion by ensuring all agency efforts and projects are in the best interest of the brand and maximize scientific data to meet the overall strategic imperatives, positioning, and long-term vision. Be the scientific point-person for all matters relating to content and be skilled in the translation of basic and clinical science into strategic and educational content. Demonstrate scientific leadership at internal and external meetings. Possess an intimate knowledge of the therapeutic markets to which the brands belong and stay abreast of market trends and new product entries. Delegate, supervise, and review scientific pieces to ensure high-level deliverables (ie, provide references and direction, answer questions, review outlines, develop draft content, and review/critique drafts). Review scientific content for accuracy.
Who you are:
- Open and Collaborative | Our team is close-knit and supportive, and we’re working with a lot of unknowns – you must champion team environments that are comfortable and encouraging.
- Problem solver | Ensure quality control by reviewing agency products including: creative work, key client communications, key schedules, creative strategies, and strategic decks. Assist with day-to-day problem-solving by providing guidance to freelancers and raise issues and solutions to senior team. Dig in and figure out how to work around problems.
- Ego-less | We all wear the hats that need wearing, it’s a mentality that makes the team successful.
What you’ll need:
- Advanced degree in biomedical sciences (MD, PhD).
- Minimum of 7 years previous experience in medical communications agency.
- Experience in multiple therapeutic areas.
- Experience managing multiple teams and client accounts.
- Multiple, successful new business pitches.
- Advanced skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, Pubmed.
- Leadership skills.
- Passionate about the medical education/communication business.
- Strong scientific and medical communications acumen.
- Effective written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent supervisory skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Exercises sound judgment.
- Manages time effectively and good multi-tasker.
- Strong professional work ethic.
- Acts as a team member.
- Active role in agency recruitment.
- Displays a willingness to work overtime, travel, and attend off-hour events within reason.
Wunderman Thompson is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or other protected group status. We believe in creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion and strives to recruit a diverse slate of candidates to help us achieve that goal.
At Wunderman Thompson, we are committed to actively building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcomed, valued and heard, and is treated with dignity and respect. As leaders and creative partners across industries, it is our responsibility to cultivate an environment reflective of our greatest asset; our people. We believe that this commitment inspires growth and delivers equitable outcomes for everyone as well as the clients and communities we serve.