Creative Director - Copy
Creative Director - Copy
Location: Memphis, TN, United States
Who we are:
At Wunderman Thompson we exist to inspire growth for ambitious brands. Part creative agency, part consultancy and part technology company, our experts provide end-to-end capabilities at a global scale to deliver inspiration across the entire brand and customer experience.
We are 20,000 strong in 90 markets around the world; our people bring together creative storytelling, diverse perspectives, inclusive thinking, and highly specialized vertical capabilities to drive growth for our clients. We offer deep expertise across the entire customer journey, including communications, commerce, consultancy, CRM, CX, data, production, and technology.
Who we are looking for:
Wunderman Thompson is seeking a Creative Director - Copy to join our team. As a Creative Director – Copy in our Performance Marketing organization you’ll be expected to lead our digital-first copywriting practice. You’ll be an experienced leader, copywriter, and editor-in-chief. You’ll be a strategic thinker who understands the value of data in informing everything and a passion for copy/content that drives audiences through user journeys. You understand the value of brand voice and tone, know what “SEO copywriting” means and how that works in practice, and have a portfolio that stretches across digital and traditional channels. At the end of the day, we’re looking for someone who can drive digital performance through content and copy. In this role you’ll be leading a team of copywriters in support of multiple clients. You may also be expected to support new business opportunities from time to time as well.
What you’ll do:
- Lead the team | In this role we’re looking for a seasoned leader who has grown and overseen a copywriting team. You’ll be responsible for ensuring the right team is in place and managing your resources to drive client success.
- Grow the Practice I Whether it’s building out the capabilities, standard operating procedures, developing team members, or driving new revenue, we’re looking for a team member who isn’t interested in status quo, but in challenging it to drive improvements.
- Be a know-it-all | Success in this role, and in supporting numerous team members and client account comes with being able to habituate client-specific nuances, such as: brand/style/voice, client preferences, and changing expectations to hold the team accountable and drive consistency and quality.
Who you are:
- Right-brained | Creative and artistic, with an ability to see holistically and be able to tell stories in written word at a level that maps to your audience.
- Left-brained | A strategic thinker who understands that when it comes to performance, data and insights can drive the user experience, design, and content strategies.
- Proven people-leader | Someone who can lead people not only by authority, but by experience and example.
- Ego-less | We all wear the hats that need wearing. It’s a mentality that makes the team successful.
What you’ll need:
- Minimum of 8 years of agency experience (with at least 4 in a managerial role).
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to manage multiple team members in support of numerous clients.
- Demonstrated comfort and polish in front of clients and prospects.
- A portfolio that showcases content capabilities across channels (digital and traditional).
- Experience writing for multiple industries and audiences (strong healthcare background is preferred).
- Ability to write to brand voice/tone, including across all reading levels.
Wunderman Thompson is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or other protected group status. We believe in creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion and strives to recruit a diverse slate of candidates to help us achieve that goal.
At Wunderman Thompson, we are committed to actively building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcomed, valued and heard, and is treated with dignity and respect. As leaders and creative partners across industries, it is our responsibility to cultivate an environment reflective of our greatest asset; our people. We believe that this commitment inspires growth and delivers equitable outcomes for everyone as well as the clients and communities we serve.