Data Strategy Director
Data Strategy Director
Department: Data & Analytics
Location: London, United Kingdom
Who we are:
At Wunderman Thompson we exist to inspire growth for ambitious brands. Part creative agency, part consultancy and part technology company, our experts provide end-to-end capabilities at a global scale to deliver inspiration across the entire brand and customer experience.
We are 20,000 strong in 90 markets around the world; our people bring together creative storytelling, diverse perspectives, inclusive thinking, and highly specialized vertical capabilities to drive growth for our clients. We offer deep expertise across the entire customer journey, including communications, commerce, consultancy, CRM, CX, data, production, and technology.
This role sits within the Marketing Science EMEA Centre of Excellence, hubbed in London and part of Wunderman Thompson Data. We develop and harness the talent of 100’s of data strategists, scientists, analysts and researchers to deliver insight and effectiveness across the whole customer experience, inspiring creative, guiding strategy and driving performance for our clients.
What we are looking for:
You will act as a digitally-focused data consultant, to spot and grow opportunities and help our clients build world-class data-driven communications and experiences for their customers.
Wunderman Thompson specifically needs a digitally savvy data expert, with experience across multi-channel integrated customer experiences. Developing journeys across paid, owned and earned digital channels; such as search, social, crm, web, app, ecom and B2B leads & sales. You will lead on data planning, targeting, personalisation, measurement and optimisation, collaborating with agency experts across a range of clients and verticals to get to the right overall communications solution.
Collaboration is key to this role - you’ll be working closely with analysts, strategists, creatives, UX designers, CX, account and campaign delivery teams as well as multiple client stakeholders.
You must be a confident self-starter, full of enthusiasm, highly collaborative and searching for the next challenge. Working with and influencing senior stakeholders and clients should come as second nature to you.
What you’ll be doing:
- Build relationships with client stakeholders and internal Wunderman Thompson teams to promote, develop and manage data projects.
- Building on these relationships, you will need to follow up on leads, receive briefs and communicate these back to the business and to the appropriate teams to get new projects and opportunities off the ground.
- Present frequently to clients, new and existing, to sell in and deliver projects. This will extend to presenting at client meetings as well as new business pitches.
- Be the clients’ trusted advisor on all things data and make it easy for clients to make business decisions – based on data insight.
- Lead clients by developing data strategies and roadmaps to propel client marketing activities forward.
- Conduct data discovery and analysis projects to unify consumer data and develop insights to inform strategy and drive effectiveness.
- Make recommendations on what type of data is best suited for campaigns/programmes.
- Develop campaign targeting and measurement plans and briefs to internal or 3rd party delivery teams, web developers and media agencies.
- Define frameworks to measure marketing effectiveness, set KPIs, benchmarks, targets and forecast to support business cases.
- Measure, evaluate and optimise marketing activity using best practice testing methodologies where necessary.
Team leadership & management
- Lead your team, with responsibility for overseeing resourcing and managing team workload.
- Line management and career development of a team of data strategists.
- Develop the skills and knowledge of your team and wider agency colleagues, creating and sustaining a learning culture.
Who we’re looking for
Essential skills and experience (knowledge of):
- 7+ years in a data function/role, preferably within an agency environment or similar with transferable experience.
- Demonstrable success at leading teams and major clients in the UK or Globally.
- Excellent communication, organisation, proposal writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to explain the technical details of data and analytics in a non-technical way to people outside the discipline.
- Strategic thinker with strong knowledge of CRM, web and digital marketing.
- High level numeracy and analysis skills.
This is not a hands-on role but knowledge of the following would be advantageous:
- Experience Management tools (e.g. Adobe Experience Platform, Salesforce Marketing Cloud)
- Web analytics & personalisation/testing tools (e.g. Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics & Target)
- CDPs (e.g. Tealium, mParticle)
- Digital Marketing Platforms (e.g. SA360, DCM, DV360, FB Ads Manager, Linkedin, Twitter, TikTok)
What we can offer you:
We don’t settle for people who can just do the job, we look for people that go beyond that and always push our thinking to be better than yesterday. We believe that this is what makes our agency a great place to be – a space where you’re never far away from the best minds to learn from.
We want you to be comfortable and proud every day of the week and have created an open and inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. We don’t want you to just fit into our culture, we want your uniqueness and diversity of background to add to it and make this an agency where we all have a real sense of belonging and purpose. We are a community.
Our focus is on keeping teams connected and engaged whether we're in the office or working from home, putting people’s wellbeing first, ensuring every person has access to our learning and development programme and building an inclusive workplace. We have a weekly ‘Staying Connected Calendar’ which is full to the brim of training you can get involved in, inspiration sessions hosted by external partners to check out and wellbeing classes and tips and tricks to look after your mind, body and soul. From yoga, Pilates, HIIT, hypnotherapy, a Strava cycling group, 1:1 resilience sessions and trained mental health first aiders. To name a few. Within our office we have a dedicated wellness studio and this year we built a brand new learning lab. Here we host weekly lunchtime lessons that supports iLearn, our learning & development portal home to 100s of sessions for you to access. We're also committed to building an inclusive, equitable and diverse workforce driven by our Inclusion Council and Employee Resource Groups; Roots, Green, Unite, Women @ WT, Families Network and culture club.
Your career development is important to us. Thrive will provide you with the framework and support needed to reach your career aspirations. There really is no shortage of opportunities here for the right person that is prepared to roll their sleeves up, get involved and collaborate with those around them to deliver the best work for our clients and our agency.
At Wunderman Thompson, we are committed to actively building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcomed, valued and heard, and is treated with dignity and respect. As leaders and creative partners across industries, it is our responsibility to cultivate an environment reflective of our greatest asset; our people. We believe that this commitment inspires growth and delivers equitable outcomes for everyone as well as the clients and communities we serve.