Business Development Manager
Business Development Manager
Department: New Business
Location: Washington, DC, United States
Who we are:
At Wunderman Thompson we exist to inspire growth for ambitious brands. Part creative agency, part consultancy and part technology company, our experts provide end-to-end capabilities at a global scale to deliver inspiration across the entire brand and customer experience.
We are 20,000 strong in 90 markets around the world; our people bring together creative storytelling, diverse perspectives, inclusive thinking, and highly specialized vertical capabilities to drive growth for our clients. We offer deep expertise across the entire customer journey, including communications, commerce, consultancy, CRM, CX, data, production, and technology.
Wunderman Thompson Health, a division of Wunderman Thompson, works with companies to build world-class healthcare and pharmaceutical brands among medical professionals and consumers, with a transmedia storytelling approach that covers print, digital and television broadcast media, medical education, sales force presentations and managed access strategies.
Who we are looking for:
Wunderman Thompson Health is seeking a Business Development Manager to join the team in our Washington, D.C. office. In partnership with the Business Development Project Manager (PM) and the Business Development leadership, this role is responsible for all aspects of the new business process and for developing compelling pitch presentations that put the agency in position to win new business opportunities. This role will take command of an RFI/RFP, assemble the appropriate resources, ensure the team is working in a clear cohesive direction to develop a strong response, and help shape a compelling story that clearly answers the RFP assignment and puts the agency in a leading position.
What you’ll do:
- Manage | Assemble a winning pitch team and leverage agency and network resources when necessary. Set and manage the pitch workflow by scheduling and leading meetings. Oversee a checklist of materials and outputs. Follow up with pitch team members to ensure deadlines are met.
- Collaborate | Work closely with the Business Development lead and pitch team leads to set the direction and approach of the RFP response and collaborate with all pitch team members to ensure clarity and understanding. Interface with a broad multi-disciplinary team including strategy, creative, data and analytics, customer experience, medical education, etc. Where possible and when necessary, collaborate with the team to challenge its thinking and constantly push the work. Work closely with the Business Development PM to set and manage the pitch process workflow to ensure outputs are managed effectively and contributors to the response have what they need when they need it.
- Quality & Control | Ensure throughout the process that the team is developing a response that is compliant and relevant to the details of the RFP assignment. Ensure the team is aligned and connected with the daily status report. Anticipate and respond to team needs. Work directly with strategy and marketing intelligence to coordinate and manage medical briefing, audience research, interviews, and testing. Work directly with creative to coordinate and manage creative briefing, check ins and reviews. Work directly with project management and finance to develop RFP pricing and assumptions.
- Process | Prepare materials (reports, presentations, summaries, etc.) for agency and WPP leadership reviews. Oversee the final pitch response (proposal, pricing, presentation, etc.) and the process required to get there. Work with new business lead to ensure all materials are sent/uploaded to the client in compliance with the instructions in the RFP. Organize pitch response content including bios, case studies, company overviews, etc. Schedule and oversee editorial review of all pitch materials. Schedule and oversee the design and creation of all pitch materials.
Who you are:
- Open and Collaborative | Our team is close-knit and supportive, and we’re working with a lot of unknowns – you must champion team environments that are comfortable and encouraging.
- Problem solver | Ensure quality control by reviewing agency products including creative work, key client communications, key schedules, creative strategies, and strategic decks. Assist with day-to-day problem-solving by providing guidance to freelancers and raising issues and solutions to the senior team. Dig in and figure out how to work around problems.
- Ego-less | We all wear the hats that need wearing, it’s a mentality that makes the team successful.
What you’ll need:
- Proven ability to lead and earn the confidence of a team
- Team and process management is critical
- Advanced in storytelling ability
- Experience working in healthcare marketing – consumer health and/or pharma in multiple therapeutic categories a big plus
- Understanding of federal government procurement processes as they pertain to marketing/advertising opportunities a big plus
- Ability to work productively with multidisciplinary teams within the agency and the network
- Ability to mine public databases for relevant opportunities
- Agency experience with global and US accounts is important
- Maintain focus in a highly dynamic environment
Wunderman Thompson is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or other protected group status. We believe in creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion and strives to recruit a diverse slate of candidates to help us achieve that goal.
At Wunderman Thompson, we are committed to actively building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcomed, valued and heard, and is treated with dignity and respect. As leaders and creative partners across industries, it is our responsibility to cultivate an environment reflective of our greatest asset; our people. We believe that this commitment inspires growth and delivers equitable outcomes for everyone as well as the clients and communities we serve.