Regional Manager of Risk & Controls (EMEA)
Regional Manager of Risk & Controls (EMEA)
Location: London, United Kingdom
Who we are:
At Wunderman Thompson we exist to inspire growth for ambitious brands. Part creative agency, part consultancy and part technology company, our experts provide end-to-end capabilities at a global scale to deliver inspiration across the entire brand and customer experience.
We are 20,000 strong in 90 markets around the world; our people bring together creative storytelling, diverse perspectives, inclusive thinking, and highly specialized vertical capabilities to drive growth for our clients. We offer deep expertise across the entire customer journey, including communications, commerce, consultancy, CRM, CX, data, production, and technology.
With a truly global reach, we work with some of the world’s most ambitious brands, partnering with them across communications, experiences and platforms to deliver world class, inspiring work that has impact! In the UK specifically, our client list includes brands such as; Shell, BT, HSBC, Microsoft, Selfridges, Nestle and Samsung. Our breakthrough creativity has always helped our clients’ businesses succeed and we’re proud to have been voted Campaign’s Customer Engagement Agency of the Year in both 2017 and 2018.
Who we are looking for:
Wunderman Thompson (WT) is seeking a dynamic, forward-thinking Regional Manager of Risk and Controls, EMEA with accounting, business process and controls, and auditing experience. The Regional Manager of Risk and Controls will be essential in partnering with various operating companies to drive continuous controls improvements and establish processes under a comprehensive framework to comply with Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) and various other accounting/control policies. In this role, you will be actively involved with and understand the business – this is not an audit position, though the person in this role will work closely with auditors and an audit background is required. This position reports to the EMEA Director of Risk and Controls.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate: Work closely with internal functions such as Finance and IT in addition to local operation company finance teams to develop necessary processes and controls based on the WPP Controls Framework.
- Partner: Assist operating companies with documentation and narratives through system implementation. Act as a resource through the annual self-certification process and annual certification of Compliance process. Partner with local finance teams on remediation plans and improvement. Review remediation for issues found in WPP’s ICFR and Internal Audit testing.
- Increase Efficiencies: Provide process improvement solutions, balancing the business requirements and the WPP control framework requirements; identify digital compliance solutions to gain efficiencies, such as digital signatures and better utilization of document sharing tools.
- Train and Support: Provide training and development across our operating companies, educate and train local finance teams on Control requirements/structures, and support local finance teams on management responses to all audit reports. Participate in audit close meetings. Ensure that you are constantly supporting the culture of Control Compliance. Support the integration of new acquisitions into WPP controls and compliance activities.
- Build Relationships: Liaise and build relationships with peers across Wunderman Thompson and WPP Group, taking on ad hoc requests as needed.
Who you are:
- An Effective Communicator: Strong verbal and written skill are required, with the ability to speak with all levels of employees, across various disciplines.
- Diplomatic: You communicate diplomatically and skillfully; can settle issues calmly and win concessions without damaging relationships.
- Detail Oriented: Strong organizational and time-management skills. You work with a sense of urgency.
- Collaborative: Smart and strategic, team first mindset. Volunteers to help team members as necessary
- Adaptable: Ability to work under pressure in an environment with constantly changing priorities.
- An Advisor: Capability to make actionable recommendations to Senior Management for process improvement solutions.
What you’ll need:
- Minimum of 5-7 years experience in a Risk and Compliance role/Financial Controlling role in a SOX environment.
- Public Accounting (auditing) or internal audit experience, with a focus on processes and controls (SOX) is required.
- Additional accounting experience as a Controller or Finance Manager is a plus.
- Experience with IFRS, GAAP, GAAS, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, SEC, PCAOB requirements, and knowledge of Risk and Compliance best practices and emerging trends.
- Extensive Process Narrative and Risk & Control matrices documentation experience.
- Large company process reengineering and change management for systems implementations experience is preferred.
- CPA (or Chartered Accountant) preferred.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting/Auditing preferred.
- Remote working skills are essential.
This role will require approximately 40% travel. Travel is currently not expected due to the global COVID pandemic. We would also consider candidates based in Europe for this role.
At Wunderman Thompson, we are committed to actively building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcomed, valued and heard, and is treated with dignity and respect. As leaders and creative partners across industries, it is our responsibility to cultivate an environment reflective of our greatest asset; our people. We believe that this commitment inspires growth and delivers equitable outcomes for everyone as well as the clients and communities we serve.