Senior Strategist, Midwest
Senior Strategist, Midwest
Location: Minneapolis, MN, United States
Who we are:
At Wunderman Thompson we exist to inspire growth for ambitious brands. Part creative agency, part consultancy and part technology company, our experts provide end-to-end capabilities at a global scale to deliver inspiration across the entire brand and customer experience.
We are 20,000 strong in 90 markets around the world; our people bring together creative storytelling, diverse perspectives, inclusive thinking, and highly specialized vertical capabilities to drive growth for our clients. We offer deep expertise across the entire customer journey, including communications, commerce, consultancy, CRM, CX, data, production, and technology.
Who we are looking for:
Wunderman Thompson is seeking a Senior Strategist to join our Strategy & Planning team.
Our Strategy & Planning team brings together brand, business, market, and customer perspectives to identify opportunities for our clients, set priorities, and define a path forward. We create strategic plans for brand communications, marketing programs, and digital experiences, all fueled by customer research, our own proprietary data, and keeping an ever-present pulse on culture. We operate as one Midwest team, with strategists across Minneapolis and Chicago.
As a Senior Strategist, this person will own strategy projects from their ambiguous beginnings through to their execution and delivery with notable independence. This role will be responsible for running the day-to-day strategy on a significant client account with oversight from a Strategy Director. This role will also support on new business initiatives and special one-off projects.
What you’ll do:
- Research | You’ll uncover insights by seeking out the truths of our customers’ lives, the shifts of our cultural landscape, and the dynamics of our clients’ categories through primary and secondary research. Strategy is all about opportunities, and insight is the key to determining priorities within that. Our research is important for client work, but it has also proven critical to our new business success.
- Guide | As the steward of our clients’ brands and businesses, you’ll define opportunities for our brands to add value to their audience’s lives. In some projects, you will guide how the brand should present (e.g. brand positioning, campaigns, comms strategy), while in others, you will guide how the brand should behave (e.g. digital experiences, products, platforms). You’ll earn your colleagues’ trust through your voice of clarity and collaboration, and you’ll earn your clients’ trust through consistent dialog and proactive thinking.
- Create | You’ll create strategic frameworks, marketing programs, and communications plans. But because the lifeblood of our agency is inspiration, you’ll also curate the best of innovation, cultural trends, and creative work from around the world. Interpreting what’s evolving, you’ll make meaning out of it for your clients and colleagues.
Who you are:
- A listener | Your thoughtfulness begins with seeking out other people’s perspectives – be it clients, customers, or colleagues.
- A learner | You enter this role wanting to expand your skillset, embracing the power of data and technology.
- A doer | You create things. Instead of just philosophizing, you make plans to take action on your strategies.
- A partner | You acknowledge your strategies are only as effective as the work that pays them off. You partner with creators, working hand in hand to shape our outputs.
What you’ll need:
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a creative agency, digital agency, other marketing organization or research environment with client-facing experience (other applicable backgrounds in marketing/communications, anthropology/psychology or anything that helps you understand how people tick will be considered)
- Experience and comfort leading research projects, including both qualitative (e.g. one-on-one interviews, focus groups) and quantitative (e.g. surveys, research reports) methods
- Firm knowledge of social media best practices (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Tik Tok) and the ability to create social strategies for brands
- Comfort interfacing with clients, solid presentation skills, and the willingness to be an outspoken thought-leader for both clients and within the agency
- Familiarity writing creative briefs and giving creative feedback
- Experience with B2B clients or complex industries (e.g. healthcare, medical device, product development, industrial, ag) is preferred.
What we offer:
- Passionate, driven people | We champion a culture of people that do extraordinary work.
- Consciously cultivated culture | We aim to embody the behaviors to build an inclusive community that is in it together, bringing both positivity and active listening into the workplace as we simultaneously strive to empower creative bravery.
- Competitive benefits | What we offer full time hires ranges from the full spectrum of group health coverage options (medical, dental, vision) to a generous 401k match (100% dollar-for-dollar match, up to 5% of salary contribution), and a variety of paid time off offerings that reflect our investment in all aspects of your overall life balance and wellness.
- Growth-minded opportunities | We aim to nurture a culture of real-time feedback, growth-oriented mindset, and plenty of training opportunities through Wunderman Thompson and WPP, so you can continue to grow personally and professionally.
Wunderman Thompson is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or other protected group status. We believe in creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion and strives to recruit a diverse slate of candidates to help us achieve that goal.
At Wunderman Thompson, we are committed to actively building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcomed, valued and heard, and is treated with dignity and respect. As leaders and creative partners across industries, it is our responsibility to cultivate an environment reflective of our greatest asset; our people. We believe that this commitment inspires growth and delivers equitable outcomes for everyone as well as the clients and communities we serve.