Director, Digital Strategy
Director, Digital Strategy
Expertise: B2B, CX, Data
Location: Orange County, CA, United States
Who we are:
At Wunderman Thompson we exist to inspire growth for ambitious brands. Part creative agency, part consultancy and part technology company, our experts provide end-to-end capabilities at a global scale to deliver inspiration across the entire brand and customer experience.
We are 20,000 strong in 90 markets around the world; our people bring together creative storytelling, diverse perspectives, inclusive thinking, and highly specialized vertical capabilities to drive growth for our clients. We offer deep expertise across the entire customer journey, including communications, commerce, consultancy, CRM, CX, data, production, and technology.
Who we are looking for:
The Director, Digital Strategy is a pivotal member of the Wunderman Thompson Mazda Team. This role requires a high level of thought leader in the digital space. The strategist is responsible for leveraging consumer and industry insight and developing strategies that motivate consumers to interact with the brand across the entire digital ecosystem including web, search, social, mobile, CRM and omni-channel platform environments. The Strategist is responsible for collaborating with senior team members and client stakeholders. The strategist understands, plans, and communicates the purpose of all the moving pieces across all digital channels. The Strategist will also write digital POV’s, proposals and presentations.
***An important NOTE on location and REMOTE options:
While this role is based out of our Irvine, Orange County office, work can be done remotely for strong qualified candidates. However, due to client considerations and workflow reasons only candidates who are local to the U.S. Pacific or Mountain time zones can be considered. Please only apply if you are local to these areas.
At this time the intention is for candidates to be local to Irvine, Orange County. Until further notice we are working remotely or opting for a hybrid work model that combines working from home and working on-site in our Irvine, Orange County office as well as onsite at our client location who is also based in Irvine, Orange County.
What you’ll do:
- Client | Work directly with clients at the outset of an assignment to define (or redefine) the right opportunity and the right problem to solve. Present directly to clients, gaining their trust by telling a concise and compelling story to explain our strategies and approach. Provide strategic direction to Account teams for brands across the digital ecosystem, in addition to partnering with creative and brand teams to create and update case studies each quarter that illustrate the compelling stories on our best work. Supporting the definition of the customers x-channel digital experiences. Develops ideas and supports a digital innovation process from ideation through pilot and optimization. Actively scans and analyzes external consumer and industry trends to identify best practices and opportunities. Researches and evaluate qualitative, quantitative, and competitive data to identify and validate opportunities. Provides strategic insight, written briefs, and recommendations for clients and internal teams. Creative brief development: Collaborate with creative, digital production and UX team members to map out the best strategy to develop and present relevant and inspiring creative solutions. Understanding of digital execution excellence and MarTech/AdTech including, automation, personalization, dynamic creative, CRM, CMS, and DAM capabilities.
- Team Collaboration, Mentorship and Coaching | Provide strategic guidance to agency and client leadership teams within the digital landscape including, web, mobile, social, media, content marketing, and measurement. Partners with account leadership to develop and manage x-platform/x-channel digital initiatives. Translates client business priorities, objectives, and needs into digital experiences. Works closely with Account teams to present strategies, ideas, agency POV’s to senior clients. Educates internal teams on new and emerging digital and social media platforms. Work with other planners/strategists to create holistic and integrated communication plans, platforms, programs, and campaigns. Collaborate with Project Managers to develop and manage realistic timelines and project plans. Collaborate and work closely with analytics team to develop comprehensive measurement and tracking plans to measure key performance and develop optimization recommendations.
- Innovation | Stays abreast of any new and emerging digital platforms. Identify behaviors/trends in the digital space and provide implications for the client’s business and opportunities for the creative team. Uncovers consumer insights that would inform digital and social media strategies; deliver these insights in a compelling and digestible way.
- Product Prototyping | Develop and design user stories, concepts, storyboards, and work with UX and creative to develop wireframes and prototypes to various degrees of fidelity to make your ideas clearly understood.
Who you are:
- A builder | Self-starter attitude coupled with a strong business acumen. Ability and appetite to bring people together and leave each meeting with a proactive plan for what you’ll do next. Innate ability to rally people and create action around ideas.
- Open and collaborative | Our team is close-knit and supportive and we’re working with a lot of unknowns – you must champion of team environments that are comfortable and encouraging. Asking questions, asking for help (or how you can help), and asking for feedback are required of every team member.
- Optimistic and resilient | Dig in and figure out how to work around problems. Support ideas and suggest solutions. Takes care of self and team. Balance needed to maintain stamina and positivity.
- Ego-less | We all wear the hats that need wearing, it’s a mentality that makes the team successful.
What you’ll need:
- BA Degree with a minimum eight to ten years’ experience with at least four of those years with a digital focus, in similar roles including some in an agency environment
- Possess excellent independent critical thinking in a variety of problem-solving environments
- Must be able to balance multiple projects and meet quick deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Experience with research activities, including quantitative, qualitative, primary, and secondary research
- Early adopter of technology and passion for all things digital
- Intellectually curious
- Demonstrated ability to build strong partnerships internally and with clients
- Experience building programs across all digital channels
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills–augmented by strong presentation skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills, ability to quickly understand new technology concepts.
- High Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PPT, and Keynote.
- Prior expertise within the automotive and technology industries is a plus
- Experience in collaboration and working cross-functionally (i.e., with Creative, User Experience, Account and Analytics teams).
- Flexible working style, keeping up with a fast-paced account and comfortable with shifting focus as business needs develop.
- Experience with marketing automation frameworks and mapping.
- Familiarity with agile/lean methodologies and best practices.
- Up-to-date understanding of market trends and keen interest in following emerging technologies
What we offer:
- Passionate, driven people | We champion a culture of people that do extraordinary work.
- Consciously cultivated culture | We aim to embody the behaviors to build an inclusive community that is in it together, bringing both positivity and active listening into the workplace as we simultaneously strive to empower creative bravery.
- Competitive benefits | What we offer full time hires ranges from the full spectrum of group health coverage options (medical, dental, vision) to a generous 401k match (100% dollar-for-dollar match, up to 5% of salary contribution), and a variety of paid time off offerings that reflect our investment in all aspects of your overall life balance and wellness.
- Growth-minded opportunities | We aim to nurture a culture of real-time feedback, growth-oriented mindset, and plenty of training opportunities through Wunderman Thompson and WPP, so you can continue to grow personally and professionally.
Wunderman Thompson is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or other protected group status. We believe in creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion and strives to recruit a diverse slate of candidates to help us achieve that goal.
At Wunderman Thompson, we are committed to actively building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcomed, valued and heard, and is treated with dignity and respect. As leaders and creative partners across industries, it is our responsibility to cultivate an environment reflective of our greatest asset; our people. We believe that this commitment inspires growth and delivers equitable outcomes for everyone as well as the clients and communities we serve.