Associate Director, Strategy
Associate Director, Strategy
Location: Toronto, Canada
Who we are:
At Wunderman Thompson we exist to inspire growth for ambitious brands. Part creative agency, part consultancy and part technology company, our experts provide end-to-end capabilities at a global scale to deliver inspiration across the entire brand and customer experience.
We are 20,000 strong in 90 markets around the world; our people bring together creative storytelling, diverse perspectives, inclusive thinking, and highly specialized vertical capabilities to drive growth for our clients. We offer deep expertise across the entire customer journey, including communications, commerce, consultancy, CRM, CX, data, production, and technology.
Who we are looking for:
Wunderman Thompson is looking for an Associate Director, Strategy to help lead a growing team of strategists across our amazing portfolio of leading global brands. Reporting to the Chief Strategy Officer, you will unearth and articulate beautifully simple strategies that lead and inspire our teams to the smartest work possible. You know how to blend art and science to plan and help craft engaging consumer experiences, across both emerging and established media. You can bring a clear point of view to ambiguous projects and enjoy working with cross-functional teams to bring multi-channel campaigns to life. You write consistently inspiring briefs, distilled from deep and insightful investigations, and you're driven to continually raise the standard of work for yourself and your team.
What you’ll do:
- Lead | Lead your brands' strategic thinking, from end to end. You’ll work collaboratively with internal partners and clients to uncover fresh, inspiring insights, using them to develop strong strategic direction, briefs and communications plans.
- Facilitate | Design and run workshops and other internal and client think sessions, designed to unearth fresh perspectives, explore new opportunities, and seek alignment to help inform and drive briefs.
- Inspire | Use your experience and knowledge of industry trends and perspectives, to bring fresh ideas on how the brands you are leading can come to life in new spaces. Collaborate and form meaningful relationships with the agency creative teams, account management and data teams to inspire ambitious thinking.
- Champion | Create and nurture a culture that makes it easy for your colleagues to perform at the highest level, and be eager to work with you. Model thoughtful decisiveness, creative championing, and how to be attentive to what others need, so that they can succeed, stretch, and love their work and their jobs.
Who you are:
- Business Builder | An entrepreneurial attitude coupled with strong consultative business acumen is core to you. Ability and appetite to bring people together and create gravity around ideas that moves a client's business forward.
- Big Picture Thinker | You are equally an abstract thinker and skilled at uncovering insights about a consumer, a brand, or a category and staying on top of emerging trends which you use as the basis for your work.
- Open and collaborative | Our team is close-knit and supportive and we’re working with a lot of unknowns – you are a champion of healthy and positive team environments.
- Ego-less | You are not opposed to leading by doing – we all wear the hats that need wearing. It’s a mentality that makes the team successful.
- A Strong Communicator | Ability to develop, communicate and skillfully present strong and well informed points-of-view and strategic recommendations across a range of client categories and consumer and business channels.
What you’ll need:
- 8+ years of relevant strategy experience, preferably in an agency setting, in increasingly senior roles.
- Ability to inspire and excite creative colleagues with strong, crisp insights and ideas.
- Experience working across a range of sectors. Role will encompass financial, consumer health, CPG, home furnishings, oil & gas across B2C and B2B.
- Experience building strong partnerships with internal colleagues and clients alike to create and align on strategies that meet a range of different business, marketing and communications objectives.
- Ability to develop and mentor a strong team of strategists whose work you will help guide and refine.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment with multiple projects on the go.
- Strong aptitude in all major audience facing channels, both traditional and digital, across paid, owned, and earned.
What we offer:
- Passionate, driven people | We champion a culture of people that do extraordinary work.
- Consciously cultivated culture | We aim to embody the behaviours to build an inclusive community that is in it together, bringing both positivity and active listening into the workplace as we simultaneously strive to empower creative bravery.
- Competitive benefits | What we offer full time hires ranges from the full spectrum of group health coverage options (medical, dental, vision) and a variety of paid time off offerings that reflect our investment in all aspects of your overall life balance and wellness.
- Growth-minded opportunities | We aim to nurture a culture of real-time feedback, growth-oriented mindset, and plenty of training opportunities through Wunderman Thompson and WPP, so you can continue to grow personally and professionally.
Wunderman Thompson welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
At Wunderman Thompson, we are committed to actively building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcomed, valued and heard, and is treated with dignity and respect. As leaders and creative partners across industries, it is our responsibility to cultivate an environment reflective of our greatest asset; our people. We believe that this commitment inspires growth and delivers equitable outcomes for everyone as well as the clients and communities we serve.