Location: New York, NY, United States
Who we are:
At Wunderman Thompson we exist to inspire growth for ambitious brands. Part creative agency, part consultancy and part technology company, our experts provide end-to-end capabilities at a global scale to deliver inspiration across the entire brand and customer experience.
We are 20,000 strong in 90 markets around the world; our people bring together creative storytelling, diverse perspectives, inclusive thinking, and highly specialized vertical capabilities to drive growth for our clients. We offer deep expertise across the entire customer journey, including communications, commerce, consultancy, CRM, CX, data, production, and technology.
Who we are looking for:
Wunderman Thompson is seeking a motivated self-starting professional to be an Assistant Controller, North America (NA). The right candidate will manage and develop a team of accounting professionals as we complete an ERP implementation that will transform our finance organization. This role will provide an opportunity to influence the direction of our transformed finance organization.
What you’ll do:
- Manage the daily accounting operations for assigned business units, e.g., work with SSC to ensure vendors are paid, customer setup, approval of operating transactions, review of account reconciliations, variance analysis, and resolving intercompany mismatches
- The timely submission of our various financial reporting packages to parent company.
- Ensure accounting policies and procedures are applied correctly and consistently.
- Provide technical accounting guidance as needed. Typical areas of consultation relate to the proper application of revenue recognition, software capitalization and leases.
- Respond to queries relating to our reported figures.
- Assist in the collection and reporting of Budget and Forecast financial information.
- Resolution of matters between our business units and other business units in our organization.
- Monitor and ensure business units are properly applying our internal control framework.
- Coordinate and manage internal audits and external audits of our business units.
- Perform the control activities assigned to them in our internal control framework.
- Manage the accounting team responsible for the NA business unit.
- Monthly submission of various financial reporting packages.
- Preparation/review of the forecast for the NA business unit.
- Assist Tax Team by responding to queries and collecting information for tax filings, including BEAT tax reporting, transfer pricing matters and business operating taxes.
- Ensure there is development and career progression for team members.
- Assist business unit client finance teams and assist in ad hoc projects as needed.
What you’ll need:
- Previous Controller experience (a minimum of 3 years) in an advertising, media or technology company is preferable. Minimum 10 years relevant work experience.
- Experience in both accounting operations, e.g., close the books, and technical accounting, e.g., respond to accounting queries on the proper application of revenue recognition, software capitalization, IFRS 16 Leases, etc.
- Experience in public company environment and internal controls over financial reporting.
- Previous experience as a Controller in holding company legal structure is beneficial.
- Motivated professional capable of completing complex tasks and satisfying deadlines in an environment that is dynamic.
- CPA or equivalent professional license is preferred.
What we offer:
- Passionate, driven people | We champion a culture of people that do extraordinary work.
- Consciously cultivated culture | We aim to embody the behaviors to build an inclusive community that is in it together, bringing both positivity and active listening into the workplace as we simultaneously strive to empower creative bravery.
- Competitive benefits | What we offer full time hires ranges from the full spectrum of group health coverage options (medical, dental, vision) to a generous 401k match (100% dollar-for-dollar match, up to 5% of salary contribution), and a variety of paid time off offerings that reflect our investment in all aspects of your overall life balance and wellness.
- Growth-minded opportunities | We aim to nurture a culture of real-time feedback, growth-oriented mindset, and plenty of training opportunities through Wunderman Thompson and WPP, so you can continue to grow personally and professionally.
Wunderman Thompson is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or other protected group status. We believe in creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion and strives to recruit a diverse slate of candidates to help us achieve that goal.
At Wunderman Thompson, we are committed to actively building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcomed, valued and heard, and is treated with dignity and respect. As leaders and creative partners across industries, it is our responsibility to cultivate an environment reflective of our greatest asset; our people. We believe that this commitment inspires growth and delivers equitable outcomes for everyone as well as the clients and communities we serve.