Senior Medical Director (MedEd)
Senior Medical Director (MedEd)
Department: Medical & Scientific
Location: Stamford, CT, United States
Who we are:
At Wunderman Thompson we exist to inspire growth for ambitious brands. Part creative agency, part consultancy and part technology company, our experts provide end-to-end capabilities at a global scale to deliver inspiration across the entire brand and customer experience.
We are 20,000 strong in 90 markets around the world; our people bring together creative storytelling, diverse perspectives, inclusive thinking, and highly specialized vertical capabilities to drive growth for our clients. We offer deep expertise across the entire customer journey, including communications, commerce, consultancy, CRM, CX, data, production, and technology.
International Meetings and Science (IMsci), a division of Wunderman Thompson Health, works with companies to build world-class healthcare and pharmaceutical brands among medical professionals and consumers, with a transmedia storytelling approach that covers medical education strategies.
Who we are looking for:
International Meetings and Science (IMsci), a division of Wunderman Thompson Health, is seeking a Senior Medical Director to join the team in our Stamford, CT office. The Medical Director ensures that scientific materials produced are of high quality, supported by current scientific thinking and are consistent with PHRMA requirements for promotional with the goal of maintaining and building the scientific reputation of the company. The Senior Medical Director partners with clients, opinion leaders, other internal and external scientific professionals as well as with Account Services team to ensure ongoing, positive relationships with our clients.
As a Senior Medical Director you will work with the Scientific team, as well as the Account and Editorial teams, to assist in ensuring the scientific integrity of all client-related projects and new business endeavors. You will be responsible for providing direction and support of the clients’ marketing and medical goals.
What you’ll do:
- Market | Be a brand champion by ensuring all agency efforts and projects are in the best interest of the brand and maximize scientific data to meet the overall strategic imperatives, positioning, and long-term vision. Develop and oversee projects that demand a high degree of scientific and/or technical understanding. Be accountable for client satisfaction, scientific rigor and accuracy, and strategic excellence of all projects. Read, interpret, and distill content from medical journal articles and pharmaceutical clinical study reports for scientific and marketing messages. Hands-on medical writing, editing, re-writing. Review scientific content for accuracy. Incorporate client and editorial comments in documents. Proactively suggest new and innovative ways to present data.
- Partner | Work in partnership with account services counterpart and editorial department. Coach, manage, mentor, and provide direction to junior science staff. Full command of, and adherence to internal processes on all projects and ensure staff understands and follows process and provide recommendations. Establish good working relationships with key opinion leaders. Involvement in new business opportunities, as needed.
- Build | Engage in client interaction including running teleconferences and client meetings, answering questions regarding content issues on manuscripts and presentations, attend meetings and demonstrate knowledge of content. Liaise with client and fulfill client requests. Develop and maintain harmonious relationships with all levels of client teams. Take responsibility for client satisfaction and identify new ways/solutions to strengthen relationships. Demonstrate a knowledge of the therapeutic market and share timely information about changes in the market.
- Innovate | Participate in the development of breakthrough creative and innovative programs founded in strong science. Ensure high-quality agency output, reflective of consistently superior creative and innovative products, and constructively reject materials that do not meet this standard. Manage freelance writers, if needed—assign projects, provide direction, ensure project is on strategy.
Who you are:
- Open and Collaborative | Our team is close-knit and supportive, and we’re working with a lot of unknowns – you must champion team environments that are comfortable and encouraging.
- Problem solver | Ensure quality control by reviewing agency products including: creative work, key client communications, key schedules, creative strategies, and strategic decks. Assist with day-to-day problem-solving by providing guidance to freelancers and raise issues and solutions to senior team. Dig in and figure out how to work around problems.
- Ego-less | We all wear the hats that need wearing, it’s a mentality that makes the team successful.
What you’ll need:
- A minimum of 5 years previous experience at medical communications agency.
- Advanced degree in biomedical sciences (MD, PhD).
- Experience in multiple therapeutic areas.
- Experience managing multiple teams and client accounts.
- Advanced skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, Internet search, Pubmed.
- Leadership skills.
- Passionate about the medical education/communication business.
- Strong scientific and medical communications acumen.
- Effective written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent supervisory skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Exercises sound judgment.
- Manages time effectively and good multi-tasker.
- Strong professional work ethic.
- Acts as a team member.
- Active role in agency recruitment.
- Displays a willingness to work overtime, travel, and attend off-hour events within reason.
Wunderman Thompson is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability, or other protected group status. We believe in creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion and strives to recruit a diverse slate of candidates to help us achieve that goal.
At Wunderman Thompson, we are committed to actively building a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where everyone feels welcomed, valued and heard, and is treated with dignity and respect. As leaders and creative partners across industries, it is our responsibility to cultivate an environment reflective of our greatest asset; our people. We believe that this commitment inspires growth and delivers equitable outcomes for everyone as well as the clients and communities we serve.