Having worked with Sainsbury’s for many years, Wunderman Thompson Commerce was delighted to have the opportunity to help. After all, it was us who had helped implement its WebSphere commerce platform in 2014, which enabled it to double its online capacity.
But that was then, and this was March 2020 with a global pandemic and national lockdown upon us.
Our commerce consultants and commerce developers worked alongside Sainsbury’s to keep the platform performing powerfully by:
- Building a unique visitor priority service using transactional data, government list and information from the call centre to identify elderly, disabled and vulnerable (EDV) customers.
- Introduced recurring slots for EDV customers.
- Adapted the platform to reduce slot availability and optimise slot allocation for non-EDV customers.
- Expanded the cloud infrastructure to cope with the increase in traffic.
- Increased real-time reporting to Sainsbury’s to help manage capacity levels.
We helped Sainsbury's to shield the vulnerable, while still providing a service to Sainsbury's loyal customers. And, in so doing, protected the NHS, and saved lives.