Having grown up with social media, digital creative tools and entrepreneurial online platforms at their fingertips, generation Z is the most digitally creative generation to date. Into Z Future, a new report from Snapchat and JWT Intelligence at Wunderman Thompson, dives into the habits, influence and expectations of this rising generation of Super Creatives.
New trend report: Into Z Future
Jun 18, 2019
Meet generation Z, the next generation of Super Creatives.
Raised with mature social media, online creative tools and gesture recognition at their fingertips, and with entrepreneurial platforms to broadcast their wares, generation Z is defining a new era of influence and creative communication. This group, aged 13 to 22 years old, are already monetizing their outputs, building empires, e-zines, influencer communities and more—all the while using visual tools like those available on Snapchat to propel their influence. Their creative arsenal—face swaps, selfies, AR Lenses, lip syncing, and emojis—has become the expressive staple of the digital arena, and now this group is using video, sound, animation and more to create rich new visual landscapes, lobby for their favorite causes, and create new income streams. Meet the gen Z Super Creatives: the supercharged multidisciplinary future of creative talent. And your new consumers.
Browser Tracking Protection enabled. Unable to display content.
The report outlines the creative themes driving this generation and includes bespoke data collected using SONAR™—Wunderman Thompson’s own research unit—from over 1,200 people aged 13–22 in the United Kingdom and United States, as well as in-depth interviews with gen Z creators.
Key findings include:
- Over half (51%) of gen Z feel that they are more creative than previous generations.
- More than half (55%) of gen Z say that they find social apps and the internet a more creative space than what they experience offline.
- 56% use social apps to express themselves creatively.
- Asked how they spend their free time offline, 77% of gen Z select at least one creative activity, such as drawing, illustrating, journaling, or playing an instrument.
- Among gen Zers, 27% have hacked or adapted an app or website’s features to do something that isn’t typically available, such as using separate apps to add sound, video, imagery or music.
Into Z Future reveals everything brands and marketers need to know about this passionate and driven generation. It examines the hacks, tips and tricks gen Z uses on social platforms; shows brands how they can successfully engage this generation; and predicts what this creative shift means for the future of creativity and talent.
For full analysis and more topics, download the report here.